Chapter 63 Infectious Diseases and International Movement of Horses
- Grein TW, Kande-Bure OK, Guenael R, et al: Rumors of disease in the global village: outbreak verification. Emerg Infect Dis 6:97, 2000. PUBMED Abstract
- Timoney PJ: The significance of emerging diseases. Horse 17:39, 2000.
- Timoney PJ: Factors influencing the international spread of equine diseases. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 16:537551, 2000. PUBMED Abstract
- Hubalek Z, Halouzka J: West Nile fever: a re-emerging mosquito-borne viral disease in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis 5:643, 1999. PUBMED Abstract
- Timoney PJ: Equids and equine semen: international trade vs. disease control. In Wernery U, Wade JF, Mumford JA, et al: Proceedings of Eighth International Conference on Equine Infectious Diseases, Newmarket, England, 1999, R&W Publications.
- American Horse Council Foundation: The economic impact of the horse industry on the United States, Washington, DC, 2005, The Foundation.
- Timoney PJ: The increasing significance of international trade in equids and its influence on the spread of infectious diseases. Ann NY Acad Sci 916:5560, 2000. PUBMED Abstract
- World Trade Organization (WTO): Agreement on the application of sanitary and phytosanitary measures. In The results of the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations: the legal texts, Geneva, 1994, GATT.
- Magalhaes J: World trade in animals and animal products: present situation and trends. In Selected Proceedings XXV World Veterinary Congress, Yokohama, Japan, 1997.
- Sellnow L: Dual hemisphere breeding. Horse 16:4953, 1999.
- Davies Morel MCG: Breeding globally: AI advances. Horse 22:2838, 2005.
- Mercado S: The equine industry in Mexico, 1994, Southern United States Trade Association.
- Pilkington M, Wilson G: Australian horses as a primary industry, Canberra, 1995, Australian Government Printing Services, Pirie Printers.
- The economic impact of the horse industry in the United States: national summary, Washington, DC, 1996, American Horse Council Foundation.
- Gordon J: The horse industry: contributing to the Australian economy, Kingston, 2001, RIRDC.
- Timoney PJ: Equine viral arteritis. Am Assoc Equine Pract Rep 7, 2000.
- Metcalf ES: The role of international transport of equine semen on disease transmission. Anim Reprod Sci 68:229237, 2001. PUBMED Abstract
- Balasuriya UBR, Evermann JF, Hedges JF, et al: Serologic and molecular characterization of an abortigenic strain of equine arteritis virus isolated from infective frozen semen and an aborted equine fetus. J Am Vet Med Assoc 213:15861589, 1998. PUBMED Abstract
- Sanchez-Vizcaino JJ: Control and eradication of AHS with vaccine. In Bakkoury M, Dakkak A, editors: 9th Congress of the World Equine Veterinary Association Proceedings, Rabat, 2006, Imprimerie Lawne.
- Powell DG, Watkins KL, Li PJ, et al: Outbreak of equine influenza among horses in Hong Kong during 1992. Vet Rec 136:531536, 1995. PUBMED Abstract
- Mumford JA, Wood J: Consultation on newly emerging strains of equine influenza. Vaccine 11:11721175, 1993.
- Guthrie AJ: Equine influenza in South Africa, 2003 outbreak. In Bakkoury M, Dakkak A, editors: 9th Congress of the World Equine Veterinary Association Proceedings, Rabat, 2006, Imprimerie Lawne.
- Rezendes A. Australia battles equine influenza. J Am Vet Med Assoc 15:1189, 2007. PUBMED Abstract
- Roest HI, Heath PJ, Dawson D, Markey G, Dijkstra YE, Engelsma M, van Zilderveld FG: Summary of the First International Conference on Contagious Equine Metritis. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 132:936938, 2007. PUBMED Abstract
- Wilson WD: Equine influenza. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 9:257282, 1993. PUBMED Abstract
- Oberste MS, Fraire M, Navarro R, et al: Association of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus subtype 1E with two equine epizootics in Mexico. Am J Trop Med Hyg 59:100107, 1998. PUBMED Abstract
- Allen G: New insights into equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) neurologic disease. Equine Dis Q 15:23, 2006.
- Taubes G: Apocalypse not. Science 278:1004, 1997. PUBMED Abstract
- Loper R: Academy urges wider study of climate-disease links. ASM News 65:13, 1999.
- McMichael AJ, Haines A: Global climate change: the potential effects on health. BMJ 315:805, 1997. PUBMED Abstract
- Baylis M, Mellor PS, Meiswinkle R: Horse sickness and ENSO in South Africa. Nature 397:574, 1999. PUBMED Abstract
- Guyette J: Newer mosquito could be culprit in West Nile virus. In Proceedings of the 66th Annual Meeting of the American Mosquito Control Association, 2000.
- Guyette J: Asian tiger mosquito shows new stripes as EEE carrier. In Pest control. Proceedings of the 66th Annual Meeting of the American Mosquito Control Association, 2000.
- Calisher CH, Maness KSC, Lord RD, et al: Identification of two South American strains of eastern equine encephalomyelitis virus from migrant birds captured on the Mississippi Delta. Am J Epidemiol 94:172, 1971. PUBMED Abstract
- Lord RD, Calisher CH: Further evidence of southward transport of arboviruses by migratory birds. Am J Epidemiol 92:73, 1970. PUBMED Abstract
- Work TH, Lord RD: Trans-gulf migrants and the epizootiology of arboviruses in North America. In Transcontinental connections of migratory birds and their role in the distribution of arboviruses, Novosibirsk, Russia, 1972, Nauka.
- Rappole JH, Derrickson SR, Hubalek Z: Migratory birds and spread of West Nile virus in the Western Hemisphere. Emerg Infect Dis 6:319, 2000. PUBMED Abstract
- Pavlin JA, Witt CJ, Noah DL, et al: Bioterrorism and equids. Clin Tech Equine Pract 1:109115, 2002.
- Office International des Epizooties (OIE): Terrestrial animal health code 2005, Paris, 2005, World Organization for Animal Health.